FAQ's for Canada

Most provinces are looking for individuals who will contribute to the province's economic growth, and are willing to settle in that province. Criteria that provinces take into consideration may include the following:

Job offer in the province


Work experience in critical industries

English and/or French language skills

Close relations in that province

Ability to adapt to life in that province

Provinces and territories are also able to make nominations under their regular, or “base”, PNPs outside the Express Entry system. Individuals who wish to immigrate to Canada, but who are not eligible to enter the Express Entry pool, may still be able to make an application to immigrate to Canada through a base PNP, as long as they are eligible for the provincial program. Base nominations may therefore provide Canadian immigration opportunities to individuals who are not eligible for Express Entry.Candidates who receive a base nomination have their applications processed outside Express Entry. The route from a successful base nomination to permanent residence is a two-step process. Candidates must first satisfy the criteria for a PNP stream, apply, and receive a nomination certificate. With this certificate in hand, candidates may apply to the federal government for permanent resident status.

If you got your ECA before 18th April, 2013, then probably you have not signed up for WES FSWP package in which they allow an electronic copy of your evaluation to be available for the CIO to verify it online. Even if you have signed up after they became a designated authority, you may have accidentally subscribed to “WES Basic” instead of “WES FSWP Package”. Just follow the email and get the payment done ASAP so that CIO can verify your ECA online.All the existing applicants are encouraged to login to there WES accounts and see Service level they have ordered, and upgrade to FSWP package BEFORE WES asks you to do so. If you do not order in time, your PER will be delayed or may jeopardize your chance of getting one.

You need to contact your Visa Office mentioned in above question and inform them about the newborn baby. They will send you an email / snail mail with additional documents that are required by visa office. They are usually Updated Family Information Form, Passport copy of the newborn baby, birth certificate, additional $150 for the dependent child, 6 photos etc.

You will have to inform about this to your respective visa office. They will send you an email / snail mail for documents, which may include divorce proof, updated forms etc.

After the application has been officially submitted, the entire process is expected to take up to 18 months. Obviously, there are many factors that affect the immigration application processing time, such as particular visa you are applying for, as well as which Canadian Immigration Visa Office is processing the application. Processing times can change at any time without any prior notice. On Jan1 2015, the Canadian government launched its new “Express Entry” Immigration System to speed up the process for applying for a PR Visa to Canada through certain “ Economic Immigration” programs, such as Federal Skilled Work Program (FSWP), Federal Skilled Trades Program(FSTP), Canadian Experience Class (CEC) Program. The Provincial Nominee Program(PNP) will also be affected by the new “ Express Entry” Canadian Immigration System.

Skilled workers who apply for a PR Visa to Canada through Express Entry system should receive a decision on their visa application within 6 months of submitting their complete PR Visa Application.

As of Jan1 2015, Immigration to Canada through certain visa programs (such as Fedral Skilled Workers Program and Federal Skilled Trades Program ) issue “invitation only” under the new “Express Entry” system. Skilled foreign workers who submit an online “express entry “ profile with their relevant details and who appear to meet the requirements for certain economic immigration programs (e. g. FSWP, FSTP or CEC) may be placed into a “ Candidate Pool” for upto 12 months. In order to leave the candidate pool and receive an “ Invitation to Apply” (ITA) for a Permanent Resident Visa to Canada, a skilled foreign worker will need to receive a qualifying Canadian job offer or Nominated by a Province or territory in Canada (through PNP) or obtain a high enough score on the “Express Entry” Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) and they will also need to be highest ranked candidates in the pool when the ITAs are periodically issued throughout the year. Once the ITA is issued the skilled foreign worker will have 60 days to submit their complete Canadian PR Visa Application, all the documents and pay any necessary fee and should receive a decision on their visa application within 6 months. If all goes well, they will be issued a PR Visa to Canada and be approved for Canadian Immigration!

No – Only applications for certain Canadian “economic immigration” programs (such as Federal Skilled Workers Program and Federal Skilled Trades Program and Canadian Experience Class Program) will be processed using the Express Entry System. In some cases under certain conditions, applications for the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) may also be processed through Express Entry System. Other Canadian immigration programs (such as the Family Sponsorship Program and Caregiver Program) will NOT be processed using the Express System and will continue to be processed as they have in the past.

No, you must be confirmed at a Canadian port-of- entry as a permanent resident. This is usually done upon your first entry into Canada with the immigration visa.

This is a card to prove your status as a Permanent resident in Canada. It is wallet- sized plastic card which you will need to re- enter Canada if you leave.

Once you have lived in Canada as a permanent resident for a total of 4 years (1,460 days) during the past 6 years (including living in Canada at least 183 days during each of those four years) and after meeting other criteria, you may have the option to apply for Canadian citizenship. (If necessary, it is sometimes possible to count time you spent in Canada before you became a permanent resident).

Yes - depending on the particular Canadian immigration program. For example, the Federal Skilled Workers Program (FSWP) requires that you have at least 1 year of paid full-time (or the full-time equivalent), continuous work experience in an eligible occupation recognized by the Canadian government within the 10-year time period prior to applying for this Canadian immigration program. One of the requirements to apply for the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) is to have at least 2 years of continuous full-time paid work experience (or the full-time equivalent) in an eligible skilled trade during the five years prior to applying for this Canadian immigration program. Our legal team can evaluate your CV and other details to assess whether you meet the work experience and other requirements to apply for a Permanent Resident (PR) Visa to Canada through one of the various Canadian immigration programs.

If you lost your GC Key password, you can create a new password. Go to the sign-in page for GCKey and you’ll be able to create a new password after you answer the password recovery questions you previously set up while registering for a GC Key.

A: Depending on your circumstances, there are two options for who you can sponsor.

Option 1 – Orphaned close relatives

You can sponsor close relatives, related by blood or adoption, such as brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, or grandchildren only if they meet all of the following conditions:

They are orphaned,

They are under 18, and

They do not have a spouse, common law partner, or conjugal partner.

Option 2 – Other relative

You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age if you meet all of the following conditions:

you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner, or one of the following living relatives you could sponsor instead:

son or daughter,



brother or sister,

uncle, aunt,

nephew or niece.

you do not have any of the above-named relatives who is a:

Canadian citizen

permanent resident, or

registered Indian under the Indian Act.

If the relative you want to sponsor has a spouse, partner, or dependent children who will come with them to Canada you must include them on the same sponsorship application.If your relative does not qualify for sponsorship they may still be able to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant through Express Entry. Express Entry manages applications for certain economic immigration programs and selects applicants for their skills, experience and ability to contribute to Canada’s economy. Express Entry candidates may be awarded points for having a family member living in Canada. More information is available on the Express Entry web page.

Yes. All of your accompanying and non-accompanying dependants must have a medical exam performed by a Panel Physician approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Non-accompanying dependants must undergo a medical exam to make sure they are admissible to Canada. They must be admissible to maintain their eligibility to be sponsored by their family members in the future.

Having inadmissible dependants might make you inadmissible as an applicant for permanent residence.

Each case is different and the length of the delay depends on the nature of the medical condition. It may take as little as 2-3 weeks or as long as 6 months. Medical Exam Validity – 1 yr

Below are the major reasons for refusing Permanent Resident Visa:




  Missing a deadline

  Reconsiderations — CIC makes mistakes

  Failure to attach documents

  Applying without knowing eligibility requirements

Applicants intending to enter Canada as permanent residents may be denied entry to Canada if their health or any of their dependents health (whether accompanying or not)

  Is a danger to public health or safety, or

  Would cause excessive demand on the Canadian health care system or on Social services in Canada.

For the safety of the fetus, X-Rays are not taken of pregnant applicants until after delivery of the baby, After the birth , the mother and infant will undergo medical examinations.

You can bring money into Canada in different forms. When you arrive, you must tell a border official if you are carrying more than C$10,000.

If you bring more than C$10,000 (or the equivalent in another currency) into Canada, you must declare the amount when you arrive. You must fill out form Cross-Border Currency or Monetary Instruments Report - Individual (E677) [PDF].

If you do not declare it, you may need to pay a fine or face other penalties. You are not taxed on the money you bring with you when you land.

You can bring money into Canada in the form of:


  Securities in bearer form (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills)

  Negotiable instruments in bearer form (for example, bank drafts, cheques, travellers' cheques, money orders)

  Transfer of funds between your bank and a Canadian bank

Speak with your financial institution before you come to Canada about currency laws and regulations in Canada and in the country you are leaving. There may be restrictions on the amount of money you can take out of the country.

If you are coming from a country that has currency restrictions, you may have up to 3 years to import goods purchased with this money in your former country. However, you must show CBSA proof that you faced restrictions.

FAQ's for Australia

Essentially, it is a right affixed into your passport granting you the permanent right to live and work in the Australia. You are eligible for state medical care immediately, but must be resident in Australia for two years before qualifying for social welfare assistance (i.e. unemployment benefits). You are not permitted to vote as a permanent resident in Australia.

Every application is different and processing times largely depend on the type of visa being applied for. As a general rule however, it takes most applicants for permanent residence visas in Australia 9 to 12 months (including the time required to prepare the application before lodgement) to receive a decision on their visa application.

A formal tertiary qualification and required skilled experience will definitely aid you if you are below 50 years of age

Yes, but a lot depends on personal circumstances and the type of visa you apply under.

If they are still under your roof and dependent on you, they will be included on your visa. Married / Independent children will not qualify under your visa.

Yes, A surprisingly large number of applicants are unaware how strictly the immigration regulations are enforced and are often unnecessarily refused or delayed due to technical errors on their application or by submitting the wrong supporting documentation.

Yes, but it is very expensive. It requires extended periods of quarantine abroad and proves to be very traumatic for animals. Most people prefer to consider alternative arrangements like foster homes etc.

You will need to confirm current prices for a container to ship your furniture over. Major moving companies will give you a free quote. There is also an option of sharing a container.

The Australian Citizenship Act 1948 provides the information regarding the acquisition of Australian citizenship. There are a number of factors which the Australian Government considers before granting Australian Citizenship.

If you're a Permanent Resident of Australia, you can live and work in New Zealand without a visa or work permit. Depending on how long you've been a PR and how long you intend staying in NZ, you may need to get an Australian 5 year Resident Return visa before you go there. Make sure you understand how a PR visa works and its eligibility requirements as your PR will expire if you are out of Australia for too long.

Once the PR is granted to the primary applicant and the accompanying dependent family members, the main applicant can return back to India. This won't affect the social security and employment status of the dependent.

Yes, Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) is required for all the applicants aged 16 years or above including the dependents from the country where one lived for more than a year.

Doctors who wish to practice in Australia must first be registered with the Medical Board in the State or Territory where they intend to practice. Doctors can apply for either a temporary or permanent visa. For immigration purposes, doctors seeking permanent residency in Australia must hold full medical registration. After the visa is granted, doctors must apply to Medicare Australia for a Medicare Provider Number if they will be working in general practice or will be prescribing drugs.

Dependents can be added at any time before the visa outcome is known.

  PCC Police clearance certificate is asked by immigration authority to determine whether you are of good character. Immigration authority can ask for police certificates for each country you have lived in for 12 months or more over the last ten (10) years since turning 16. PCC is issued based on the character records of the person. If you have received PCC for company or organization purpose, it wouldn’t be a problem to receive the same for immigration. A person will not pass the character test where:

  If you have a substantial criminal record

  If you have been convicted of any offence that was committed while in immigration detention, during an escape from immigration detention, during a period where a person escaped from immigration detention, or if the person has been convicted of the offence of escaping from immigration detention

  If you have or had an association with an individual, group or organisation suspected of having been, or being, involved in criminal conduct

  If on review of past and present criminal conduct, the person is found not to be of good character

  If on assessment of past and present general conduct, the person is found to be not of good character

  If the Immigration authority find that the person can be a significant risk to country’s safety and may engage in criminal conduct in Country, harass, molest, intimidate or in stalking etc.

Points are locked in when you receive an invitation to lodge a visa application, not when you submit an Expression of Interest.

If you have 60 points and are close to a birthday when you will lose 5 points this can mean that a State or Territory sponsored visa pathway is to be preferred over a subclass 189 Skilled Independent, because the State and Territory sponsored skilled visas progress from an EOI to a visa invitation within a very short period of the sponsorship being confirmed.

Australia Sub-class189 FAQ’s

The Australia Skilled Immigration Program is a permanent visa option available for immigrants who do not have a sponsor in Australia but have the necessary skills and qualifications for occupations in need, in Australia, along with competent English language ability. This is for those who want to Migrate to Australia with their skill listed in Australia SOL.

  The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program has to score 60 points under a points test.

  The age of the applicant should be below 50 years.

  The applicant should be a superior or proficient in English language.

  The applicant should nominate an occupation listed on the SOL.

  The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program should get a skill assessment done for a nominated occupation by skill assessing Authority before the application is lodged.

Point test is used to assess the skill level of the applicants who migrate to Australia under the General Skilled Migration. The applicant can claim points under different criterion such as age, English language ability, Australia/overseas work experience, Australia/overseas qualifications, partner skills, designated language, and completed a professional year in Australia.

60 points. This is the minimum points that the applicant should be able to score to meet the threshold requirements to be eligible to migrate to Australia. However; the pool mark is different from the pass mark. The marks required to keep your application in a reserve pool for a period of 2 years after the assessment if you are unable to score the required pool mark. In case a lower pool mark is set at any point of time during these two years and your pool marks meet the criterion then your application will be processed further.

Skilled Occupation List (SOL) provides the list of opportunities available in Australia for people who are on skilled migration to Australia. The applicant has to nominate an occupation that matches with the skills, work experience and qualifications.

The applicant must have completed 16 calendar months during his/her course of study, either for a single qualification requiring at least 2 academic years study or for more than 1 qualification resulting in a total period of at least 2 academic years study in Australia.

To meet with work experience criteria of Australia visa, you should be employed in an occupation listed on the SOL/CSOL. The employment should be at least for 20 hours a week in a paid position.

Spouse, partner, dependent children and other dependant family members can be included in the application. The secondary applicants should meet the other relevant criteria set along health, character and English language requirement.

Yes, you should submit either IELTS/PTE Academic/TOEFL/CAE test results to meet the English language until and unless specified or you must be either a citizen or a passport holder of any of these countries: United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, United States of America, Republic of Ireland.

No, you do not have any provision for obtaining sponsorship for skilled independent migration program. If you intend to migrate by obtaining sponsorship then you can apply either through skilled sponsored migration visa or through state/territory nominated independent visa.

The requirements for Australian citizenship include living in Australia for a specified period of time and being of good character and have passed a citizenship test if aged between 18 and 60 (unless otherwise exempt). A person is usually eligible for Australian citizenship if they have resided lawfully in Australia for four (4) years immediately before applying, including:

  At least 12 months as a permanent resident.

  No absences from Australia of more than 12 months.

  No absences from Australia of more than 90 calendar days during the 12 months before applying.

Dependents aged18 years and over have to pay second installment visa application charges, if he/she does not have functional English.